About Us

Website Created By: Carl W. Abbio


Woodbury the Town

             Woodbury was once called Woodbury Clove (“Valley”). Created in 1863 when the Board of Supervisors approved the division of Monroe into three communities: Monroe, Woodbury and Tuxedo. Incorporated in 1863, Woodbury was quickly dissolved and re-incorporated in 1889. Before 1863 Woodbury was part of Goshen and then became a large part of Cornwall. Woodbury was originally made up of Hamlets of Central Valley and Highland Mills. How the Town became known as Woodbury is still a mystery. Some believe it to be derived from the Dutch work “wode” meaning “dwelling place in the woods”. Others claim it came from a famous English family named Woodbury.

Woodbury the Club

             In the early 1930’s, local sportsmen would gather in their homes, local coffee shops, pubs or wherever they could meet to discuss the sports of hunting, fishing, trapping, environmental concerns and the outdoor activities they dearly loved. Not until 1936 was it determined that official status should be assigned to their group. It would be a “Club” that would allow them to further their pursuits in the outdoors, while at the same time working with the community and government in making the out-of-doors a better place for all to enjoy.

             In 1936 the club’s Fathers named this new creation “The Woodbury Field and Stream Club”, Perhaps naming it after a town that had everything to offer them. Then in 1938 a petition to incorporate was filed with the NY Secretary of New York City. Supreme Court Justice Raymond Aldrich ordered the incorporation on May 31, 1938 affording the club official not-for-profit status.

             The Club, in its quest to secure a place in the future for the members, began to acquire property. Shortly after incorporation, the club officers at that time: Joseph Burrow, Jr., Jacob T. Patterson, John Hogan, Richard Rose, Samuel B. Wright, Richard Wolf and Howard Weygant, purchased a piece of land from the Phoenix Development Company for three hundred dollars. This land is located off Route 32 in Highland Mills New York – behind the pub known as the “bonnie Brook”. The club owned this land for several years until it was determined it would be to the club’s benefit to sell it to Cooney Brothers for eight hundred dollars after the state department of transportation alleged a drainage or runoff problem coming from the Club’s property onto State Route 32 – the cost to cure the problem was far more than the value of the property.

             In the ensuing years, the Club’s president, Robert VanEtten, and Board of Directors, Louis Burgunder, Harold Pembleton, Joe Bailey, Wyant Felter, Ed Jones, David Moulton, Charles Capriglione, Louis Traveglione, William Vigliotti, Tinny Capriglione, et al, entered into a variety of leases for property to ensure access property for members. Various lessors were: W. Averill Harriman, Elmer Abrams, William Roach, Harold A. August Belanca, Dr. Noah Weg, and the Town of Woodbury.

             In 1936, the club acquired land from Charles Capriglione. The land is located on what was then called “Old Plane Road”, Highland Mills, New York and better known today as “Sid Felter Lane” or the “Woodbury Field & Stream Club, Inc., Highland Mills Property”.

             In its continuing quest to secure a place in the future for the members, the Club sought additional vacant property. In September 2000, Herb Weinberger and Tom Jefferson learned of an upcoming sale of land – a 7.9 acre parcel and a 109 acre parcel in the town of Wawayanda. Obtaining the selling price of this land, they presented it to the Board of Directors who determined that the Club should submit a reasonable offer. The offer was accepted and this land is referred to as the Club’s McVeigh Road” land in the town of Wawayanda. Abutting this land, a 3.9 acre parcel was being offered by the county of Orange in September 2001 on a tax sale. The club submitted and won the bid thus obtaining additional property.

Woodbury Field and Stream Club, Inc.